What is involved in help desk
Find out what the related areas are that help desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a help desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its help desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward help desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which help desk related domains to cover and 194 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
help desk, Application software, Automatic call distributor, Call board, Call center, Call centre, Comparison of help desk issue tracking software, Comparison of issue-tracking systems, Comparison shopping website, Computer configuration, Computer network, Computer peripheral, Computer security, Customer service, Desktop computer, Digital distribution, End user, Enterprise software, Erlang unit, Fax machines, Flower delivery, Help desk software, Information technology, Issue tracking system, Knowledge base, Mobile commerce, Mobile payment, Mobile ticketing, Online advertising, Online auction, Online banking, Online chat, Online food ordering, Online grocer, Online pharmacy, Online trading community, Online wallet, Personal digital assistant, Point of contact, Private branch exchange, Queue area, Remote Assistance Software, Social commerce, Software bug, Streaming media, Support automation, Technical support, Travel website:
help desk Critical Criteria:
Steer help desk visions and cater for concise help desk education.
– The offeror will describe its service levels for fixes, help desk, etc. will it reduce its fees if the service levels are not met?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate help desk delivery for example is new software needed?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What features of the current help desk service management tool are being used?
– How has the current help desk service management tool been customized?
– Do we know the number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– What is the current help desk service management tool and version?
– How will the offeror provide support through the help desk?
– Help desk password resets easily measured (specific number?
– Number of password problem help desk calls per month?
– How does the help desk authenticate callers?
– How can the value of help desk be defined?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Frame Application software engagements and correct Application software management by competencies.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing help desk? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
Automatic call distributor Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Automatic call distributor visions and plan concise Automatic call distributor education.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a help desk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the help desk process available?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of help desk?
– Will help desk deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Call board Critical Criteria:
Infer Call board tactics and finalize the present value of growth of Call board.
– How can you negotiate help desk successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How do we measure improved help desk service perception, and satisfaction?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your help desk activities?
Call center Critical Criteria:
Guide Call center strategies and know what your objective is.
– What proportion of Customer Service calls chats could present day AI technology resolve without assistance in principle?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of help desk into the services that we provide?
– What is the average supervisor to Customer Service representative ratio for a fixed route call center?
– What is the best virtual hosted PBX platform to use for our phone Customer Service team?
– What are good examples of us utilizing SMS as a Customer Service mechanism?
– Have you integrated your call center telephony to your crm application?
– What are the issues of scaling Twitter for Customer Service?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Customer Service?
– Can we do help desk without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do companies apply social media to Customer Service?
– Is social media the solution to bad Customer Service?
– Is Twitter an effective Customer Service tool?
– Are we Assessing help desk and Risk?
Call centre Critical Criteria:
Adapt Call centre tasks and budget for Call centre challenges.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding help desk?
– Do the help desk decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– What are internal and external help desk relations?
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software Critical Criteria:
Design Comparison of help desk issue tracking software management and find out what it really means.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this help desk process?
– Think about the functions involved in your help desk project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What are our needs in relation to help desk skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Comparison of issue-tracking systems Critical Criteria:
Gauge Comparison of issue-tracking systems strategies and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a help desk strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Do we monitor the help desk decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Comparison shopping website Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Comparison shopping website strategies and report on the economics of relationships managing Comparison shopping website and constraints.
– What are the disruptive help desk technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Are assumptions made in help desk stated explicitly?
Computer configuration Critical Criteria:
Survey Computer configuration tactics and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Computer configuration is getting what it needs.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about help desk. How do we gain traction?
– Does help desk analysis show the relationships among important help desk factors?
– Why should we adopt a help desk framework?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Debate over Computer network quality and report on developing an effective Computer network strategy.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our help desk agendas for the next 3 years?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– What is Effective help desk?
Computer peripheral Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Computer peripheral adoptions and innovate what needs to be done with Computer peripheral.
– Does help desk include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How do we manage help desk Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Does our organization need more help desk education?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Discourse Computer security projects and maintain Computer security for success.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– How do we know that any help desk analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Why is help desk important for you now?
– What threat is help desk addressing?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Group Customer service tasks and probe Customer service strategic alliances.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– Customer Service What is the future of CRM with regards to Customer Service five years from now, What Technologies would affect it the most and what trends in Customer Service landscape would we see at that time?
– Do we offer the opportunity to provide feedback regarding a supervisors leadership skills. if so, do we find it valuable, and are they able to remain constructive?
– Some customers call Customer Service. some customers browse our web site. some customers never buy from us again. are we listening to what theyre saying?
– What do you think might typically form part of your organization s overall package from a customer s perspective?
– What are acceptable techniques for directing a customer to the Customer Service department?
– What specific aspects of our culture are impeding us in providing better Customer Service?
– In the past year, have you lost your temper with a Customer Service professional?
– How do we handle a situation where a customer wants something that we do not offer?
– Do we allow the customer to complain in any way they want to?
– Are virtual assistants the future of Customer Service?
– How can you restore confidence with your customers?
– Who should use this self assessment?
– What is Effective Customer Service?
– Do we know Who Always Comes First?
– What else is important to you?
– Do beliefs differ from values?
– Do we perform Skills Audits ?
– Arent all customers alike?
Desktop computer Critical Criteria:
Examine Desktop computer visions and create a map for yourself.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your help desk processes?
– How do we go about Comparing help desk approaches/solutions?
– Do we have past help desk Successes?
Digital distribution Critical Criteria:
Design Digital distribution results and find answers.
– What is the total cost related to deploying help desk, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do mission and objectives affect the help desk processes of our organization?
End user Critical Criteria:
Grade End user governance and track iterative End user results.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Which customers cant participate in our help desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if help desk does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does the calibration lab or calibration contractor provide the end user notification of any out of tolerance conditions?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– From the end users eyes, is it possible for the change to have a major impact on services if problems occur?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– How does the vendor handle software and hardware maintenance, end user support, and maintenance agreements?
– Will the change have only minimal or no impact on services provided to the end users if a problem occurs?
– Will the change have only minor impact on services provided to the end users if problems occur?
– Is the change needed to restore immediate service to the end user?
– Will the change be visible only to a small group of end users?
– Will the change be visible to a large number of end users?
– How significant is the improvement in the eyes of the end user?
– Can all end user classes be identified?
– Is the change visible to all end users?
Enterprise software Critical Criteria:
Discuss Enterprise software outcomes and point out improvements in Enterprise software.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of help desk product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– Is your LMS integrated to your current enterprise software?
– Are accountability and ownership for help desk clearly defined?
Erlang unit Critical Criteria:
Match Erlang unit management and look for lots of ideas.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent help desk services/products?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a help desk project?
Fax machines Critical Criteria:
Investigate Fax machines leadership and work towards be a leading Fax machines expert.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective help desk leader?
Flower delivery Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Flower delivery outcomes and perfect Flower delivery conflict management.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect help desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of help desk activities?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in help desk?
Help desk software Critical Criteria:
Categorize Help desk software strategies and oversee Help desk software management by competencies.
– How is the value delivered by help desk being measured?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Define Information technology risks and find the essential reading for Information technology researchers.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– How likely is the current help desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Is Supporting help desk documentation required?
Issue tracking system Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Issue tracking system quality and integrate design thinking in Issue tracking system innovation.
– How do we ensure that implementations of help desk products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Knowledge base Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Knowledge base governance and look in other fields.
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which help desk models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
– What will drive help desk change?
Mobile commerce Critical Criteria:
Discuss Mobile commerce goals and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Mobile commerce projects.
– Among the help desk product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Mobile payment Critical Criteria:
Align Mobile payment failures and get answers.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether help desk goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– When a help desk manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What killer use cases in mobile payments have not been considered?
– Will mobile payments ever replace credit cards?
Mobile ticketing Critical Criteria:
Categorize Mobile ticketing leadership and cater for concise Mobile ticketing education.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these help desk processes?
Online advertising Critical Criteria:
Map Online advertising visions and secure Online advertising creativity.
– How can you measure help desk in a systematic way?
Online auction Critical Criteria:
Map Online auction risks and test out new things.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for help desk strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a help desk project?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed help desk opportunities costing us money?
Online banking Critical Criteria:
Chart Online banking visions and devote time assessing Online banking and its risk.
– How do your measurements capture actionable help desk information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations help desk values?
Online chat Critical Criteria:
Recall Online chat tasks and gather practices for scaling Online chat.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new help desk in a volatile global economy?
– What kinds of support services (e.g., via e-mail, phone calls, online chat) does the provider offer to its customers and in which languages?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– Do those selected for the help desk team have a good general understanding of what help desk is all about?
– Do help desk rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Online food ordering Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Online food ordering failures and revise understanding of Online food ordering architectures.
– Have you identified your help desk key performance indicators?
Online grocer Critical Criteria:
Drive Online grocer decisions and improve Online grocer service perception.
– What are the business goals help desk is aiming to achieve?
Online pharmacy Critical Criteria:
Sort Online pharmacy goals and differentiate in coordinating Online pharmacy.
– In a project to restructure help desk outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the usability implications of help desk actions?
Online trading community Critical Criteria:
Confer re Online trading community results and probe Online trading community strategic alliances.
– What potential environmental factors impact the help desk effort?
– How much does help desk help?
Online wallet Critical Criteria:
Define Online wallet engagements and balance specific methods for improving Online wallet results.
– How do we Lead with help desk in Mind?
Personal digital assistant Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Personal digital assistant results and question.
– What support does the IT Security product provide for laptops/notebooks, personal digital assistants (PDA), and IP-based phones?
– Is maximizing help desk protection the same as minimizing help desk loss?
– What vendors make products that address the help desk needs?
Point of contact Critical Criteria:
Mix Point of contact issues and spearhead techniques for implementing Point of contact.
– How to deal with help desk Changes?
Private branch exchange Critical Criteria:
Categorize Private branch exchange results and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Private branch exchange is getting what it needs.
– Is help desk Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How can skill-level changes improve help desk?
Queue area Critical Criteria:
Scan Queue area adoptions and catalog what business benefits will Queue area goals deliver if achieved.
– What are all of our help desk domains and what do they do?
Remote Assistance Software Critical Criteria:
Look at Remote Assistance Software visions and be persistent.
Social commerce Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Social commerce issues and budget for Social commerce challenges.
– How will you know that the help desk project has been successful?
– What are the Key enablers to make this help desk move?
Software bug Critical Criteria:
Value Software bug governance and define what our big hairy audacious Software bug goal is.
– Have the types of risks that may impact help desk been identified and analyzed?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Apply Streaming media strategies and develop and take control of the Streaming media initiative.
Support automation Critical Criteria:
Own Support automation quality and probe Support automation strategic alliances.
– What business benefits will help desk goals deliver if achieved?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Model after Technical support goals and probe the present value of growth of Technical support.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to help desk?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
– What is the source of the strategies for help desk strengthening and reform?
Travel website Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Travel website decisions and summarize a clear Travel website focus.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the help desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
Automatic call distributor External links:
Cloud Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)| Spoken
What is Automatic Call Distributor (ACD)? – Dialogic
Automatic Call Distributor and UCD Call Distribution
Call board External links:
FAQs « One Call Board of Texas
How it Works « One Call Board of Texas
[PDF]ROLL CALL BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: ALSO …
Call center External links:
AT&T Careers | Call Center Jobs – Careers – AT&T
Call Center Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]JOB DESCRIPTION Title: Call Center Associate I Job …
http://nhsinc.org/JOBdescriptions/call center I.pdf
Call centre External links:
Call Centre In Delhi Usa Pharmacy | 1stDrugstore
Call Centre and Customer Service Jobs Cork, Ireland
Call Centre Helper – Official Site
Comparison of help desk issue tracking software External links:
Comparison of Help Desk Issue Tracking Software – …
Comparison shopping website External links:
Best Comparison Shopping Website – …
Computer configuration External links:
Computer Configuration Check – Tribridge
[PDF]Windows 10 Computer Configuration Guide – SoniClear
Computer network External links:
Computer Network Security, B.S. – Wilmington University
Technical Support | Computer Repair | Computer Network
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Computer peripheral External links:
Starmax India – Computer Peripheral
What are some examples of computer peripheral devices?
Computer security External links:
Introduction to Computer Security
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
SP 800-92, Guide to Computer Security Log Management | …
Customer service External links:
Customer Service – Pacific Northwest Title
Customer Service – Kohl’s
ODJFS | Child Support Customer Service Portal
Desktop computer External links:
CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Master 2021 …
[PDF]For Desktop Computer Users
Amazon.com: HP Pavilion Desktop Computer, Intel Core i7-7700, 12GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, Windows 10 (570-p030, Black): Computers & Accessories
Digital distribution External links:
HearYou Digital Distribution
Digital Distribution to World’s Largest VOD Platforms
Woovit, a digital distribution platform
End user External links:
UI updates for Intune end user apps | Microsoft Docs
Enterprise software External links:
Enterprise software licensing | Adobe Buying Programs
Kadince – Enterprise software for financial institutions
Aspen Grove Solutions – Property Enterprise Software
Fax machines External links:
Fax Machines & Accessories – Office Depot® Official Site
http://ad · www.officedepot.com/Technology/FaxMachines
Troubleshooting Your XFINITY Voice and Fax Machines
Brother Fax Machines
Flower delivery External links:
Flower Delivery – YouTube
Avas Flowers – Flower Delivery Services
Flower Delivery & Florist – Send Flowers – BloomThat
Help desk software External links:
Ken Garff IT Department – Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software
Customer Support Software, B2B Software, Help Desk Software
SysAid Help Desk Software
Information technology External links:
Information Technology Services – UTMail
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Issue tracking system External links:
Issue Navigator – FBS’s Issue Tracking System
Log in – MicroPact Issue Tracking System
Login – Smart Issue Tracking System
Knowledge base External links:
Indiana University Knowledge Base
Carbonite Support Knowledge Base
Comporium’s Help Center – Comporium Knowledge Base
Mobile commerce External links:
ReplyBuy | Mobile Commerce + Marketing Automation
Mobile Commerce Solutions – the Shopify app
Mobile Commerce | Masterpass Digital Wallet | Mastercard
Mobile payment External links:
Mobile Payment App – KB
Mobile payment (eBook, 2013) [WorldCat.org]
Digital Mobile Wallet & Mobile Payment Systems – PayPal US
Mobile ticketing External links:
Mobile Ticketing – Jacksonville Jaguars
MOBILE TICKETING NOW AVAILABLE FOR COMMUTER …
Mobile Ticketing | Oklahoma City Thunder
Online advertising External links:
LOAC2018 – Local Online Advertising Conference- March …
Wippl – Caribbean Online Advertising
Online auction External links:
BIDRL.COM Online Auction Marketplace
LastBid Online – Online Auction Site
sliBuy.com | Store Returns Online Auction Wholesale
Online banking External links:
myBranch Online Banking Log In | Security Service
TD Bank Online Banking
Bank of America | Online Banking | Sign In | Online ID
Online chat External links:
Free Online Chat Rooms – Wireclub
Kids Chat – Free Online Chat Rooms for Youths
Instant Chat Rooms – Free Online Chat
Online food ordering External links:
Online Food Ordering
Frankies Patriot BBQ Clearwater – Online Food Ordering
Online Food Ordering – Chris’ Kitchen
Online grocer External links:
Contact Us | Hy-Vee Aisles Online Grocery Shopping
Safeway – Groceries Online | Online Grocery Delivery
Online pharmacy External links:
Metformin Online Pharmacy Australia | 365PillsOnline
Online Pharmacy 4 U | 365PillsOnline
Canada Pharmacy Online Pharmacy | BestPrice!
Online trading community External links:
Online Trading Community – Home | Facebook
Forex Trading – Options Trading – Online Trading Community
The Exchange | Questrade’s online trading community
Online wallet External links:
OTTOCOIN dot Cash – OTC Online Wallet
Point of contact External links:
Signature Bank | A Single Point Of Contact
State Single Point of Contact (SPOC) | opgs
JSL International Limited | Single Point of Contact
Private branch exchange External links:
PBX (private branch exchange) – Gartner IT Glossary
PBX (Private Branch eXchange) – The Tech-FAQ
Queue area External links:
Queue area – definition of Queue area by The Free Dictionary
Local System Queue Area – TheFreeDictionary
Remote Assistance Software External links:
Eurocomp eSupport Remote Assistance Software
Remote Assistance Software. Which Edition to buy? What …
Remote Assistance Software – dameware.com
http://ad · www.dameware.com/Remote-Support
Social commerce External links:
Social Commerce Software – Social Media Integration …
Influencer Social Commerce | SOULER
Social Commerce | Selling on Facebook | Magento
Software bug External links:
Apple fixes software bug in iPhone 6 – Sep. 26, 2014
iPad software bug fix? | Verizon Community
Streaming media External links:
Compare Internet TV Streaming Media Services | finder.com
Streaming Media Services – technet.microsoft.com
OmniBox TV | The Largest Streaming Media In The World
Support automation External links:
Ada — Support automation made simple
Ada — Support automation made simple
Support Automation and Insight Remote Support | HPE™
Technical support External links:
Technical Support – Southwire
Support : SCC’s Technical Support
Comcast Customer Service – XFINITY® Technical Support